IPO’s mission is to promote high-quality and enforceable IP rights and predictable legal systems for all industries and technologies. The global acceleration of innovation, creativity, and investment is necessary to improve lives.
IPO advocates for harmonization of IP laws and procedures through its participation in the Industry Trilateral and IP5 Industry (which address harmonization of patent laws and procedures) and in stakeholder meetings, such as those with the ID5 and TM5 (which address industrial design and trademark issues). Through its committees, IPO also monitors international developments in IP, prepares comment letters to be filed around the world, holds meetings with government officials and stakeholder groups here and abroad, organizes webinars on trending topics, and submits comments for consideration by the U.S. Trade Representative as part of the Special 301 Report process. It also regularly participates in meetings at the World Intellectual Property Organization.
A Global Perspective on IP
Use the tabs below to see some of the ways IPO is working throughout the world on effective IP policies.
Comments on International Issues
IPO provides official comments on a variety of international issues. You can view all the testimony and comments here.
- IPO Letter to USTR Regarding Brazilian Compulsory Licensing Legislation – Aug 24, 2021
- IPO Comments to CNIPA on Draft Amendments to Several Stipulations Regarding Regulating the Act of Applying for a Patent – June 5, 2021
- IPO Comments to CIPO Regarding Proposed Change to the Refusal and Review Process for Industrial Design Examination Decisions– May 31, 2021
- IPO Brief to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on International Trade regarding “Canada’s International Trade and Investment Policy: Selected Considerations Concerning COVID-19 Vaccines” – April 30, 2021
- IPO Comments to CNIPA on Draft Measures for Administrative Adjudication of Major Patent Disputes – April 2, 2021
- Joint IP Associations Letter Supporting U.S. Opposition to TRIPS Waiver – March 30, 2021
- IPO Response to Questions from USTR re: USTR’s Special 301 Review – March 5, 2021
- IPO Comments to CNIPA on Draft Amendments to Implementing Regulations – January 11, 2021
IPO has a number of international committees that work on a variety of issues. Browse all the IPO Committees here.
IPO has hosted a variety of webinars covering international issues. To view the current webinars, visit the IPO webinars page.
- What’s New In Bad Faith and Why It Matters: Global Perspectives – Sept. 15, 2021
- The Impact of the Brazilian Supreme Court Decision on the Patent Term – June 24, 2021
- Opportunities for Patent Applicants in Latin America: Benefiting from Work Sharing Programs and Other Fast-Track Options – April 7, 2021
- An Overview of Global Issues Based on IPOs Special 301 Comments – Mar 18, 2021
- The USPTO IP Attaché Program: Structure, Goals, and the Current Situation in China – Mar 2, 2021
- Approaches to Arbitration and Mediation, with a Focus on the U.S. and China
- Waiving IP Protections to Address COVID-19: The WTO Proposals and Ensuring Equitable Access to the Vaccines
- Patenting Computer Simulations in Europe Following Enlarged Board Case G1/19
Harmonization Related Work
IPO has worked alongside a number of organizations to further harmonization.
- ID5: http://id-five.org/
- IP5: https://www.fiveipoffices.org/index
- Group B+: https://www.epo.org/law-practice/harmonisation/group-b-plus.html
- TM5: http://tmfive.org/
- Trilateral Patent Offices: https://www.trilateral.net/home