Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), established in 1972, is a trade association for owners of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. Membership benefits include: supporting member interests relating to legislative and international issues; analyzing current IP issues; information and educational services; and disseminating information to the general public on the importance of intellectual property rights.
Information about IPO membership, benefits, and activities can be found by following the links above and to the right
As owners of intellectual property we believe that intellectual property rights accelerate the innovation, creativity, and investment necessary to address major global challenges and improve lives. We strive to maximize innovation across all industries and improve lives throughout the world by fostering high quality rights and effective, harmonized systems to obtain and enforce them, on behalf of all our members.
1. We represent the interests of IP owners.
2. We believe IP rights drive innovation, which creates economic prosperity.
3. We believe that valid and enforceable IP rights are fundamental to both developed and emerging economies.
4. We believe that advancing IP owners’ interests requires global dialogue and cooperation.
5. We seek to transparently address the needs of all members, foster relationships among members and facilitate the ongoing exchange of information.
6. We ensure that IP systems apply without advantage or discrimination to all industries and all technologies.
7. We believe in a sustained education focus for experts, professionals, and the public to understand and appreciate the benefits of developed IP systems.
8. We strive to promote improvements and eliminate abuses in IP systems.
9. We seek to maintain ongoing, constructive engagement with governmental IP offices, regulators and IP policy legislators globally.
10. We choose to lead IP initiatives or influence IP policy when there is sufficient Board support to justify IPO involvement.
Membership and Values
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) values a diverse membership that is inclusive and empowering to all individuals, regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or socioeconomic status. IPO believes that the vitality of the association and the IP profession is dependent on the contributions of a community that reflects the diverse perspectives of a global economy.
IPO is committed to inclusive practices and to providing services, professional development, and leadership opportunities for its members and staff, which will ultimately inform and support a strong intellectual property system.
Priority 1: Advocate for IP rights.
Priority 2: Deliver a strong value proposition for all members.
Priority 3: Enhance our governance structure and develop emerging leaders.