The IPO Corporate Mentoring program provides corporate members of all experience levels an opportunity to learn and grow with support from fellow members in the IPO community. Experienced members and IP leaders are encouraged to volunteer as mentors and share ideas with their early-career colleagues who will be the next generation of leaders. Members seeking guidance from their more senior colleagues may volunteer as mentees.
Please read through the below introduction to the program and submit the application at the bottom of the page.
Who Can Be a Mentor?
Experienced corporate members who are motivated and able to make the time and energy commitment to a mentee for a minimum six month period. Examples include IPO Board members who are often chief IP counsel, their direct reports or senior team members and members of the Emeritus Committee
Who Can Be a Mentee?
Any corporate member seeking career guidance who is motivated and able to make the time and energy commitment to a mentor for a six month period.
Format of Mentoring Meetings
In-person or virtual format (call/video); minimum commitment of 4 separate, recommended 1-hour meetings (or other structure that would fulfill a recommended 4 hour minimum commitment); confidentiality of the mentor-mentee content to be maintained; if local, can optionally meet in person if agreed by mentor and mentee.
Rules and Expectations of Participants
- NO sharing of confidential client/company information of any kind.
- Not designed to support junior staff to improve on-the-job, substantive IP onboarding or performance
- Not an employee recruiting or job solicitation forum
Expectations of pairs:
- Confidentiality of conversations is required
- Aimed at relationship building
- It is the responsibility of the mentee to schedule meetings
- Commitments for meeting whether by phone, video or in person are endeavored to be kept
- Share experiences, knowledge and ideas
- Share resources and connections as appropriate
- Advise and guide – not criticize
- Work jointly towards established goals
NOTE: We are starting ROUND TWO of the mentoring program. Please submit your application below to be included in round two.